Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ghosts of Christmas Past

Last night we had a snowstorm so I spent this morning shoveling the driveway. As I shoveled I enjoyed looking at our neighbors blue spruce all covered in snow, which brought back all kinds of memories of Christmas' past. As a child I remember my Dad flocking our Christmas tree (covering it if fake snow). I always thought this was kind of weired but my Dad missed the beautiful snow covered trees of Montana, we didn't get a lot of snow in southern California. Speaking of snow one of my favorite Christmas' as a child was the year my cousins came to visit and we went to Sea World, where they had brought in fake snow to sled on. I remember thinking this was the coolest thing, and not wanting to go see the animals because all I wanted to do was play in the snow. Of course my cousins who were from Montana didn't think it was that neat at all, what they thought was cool was picking oranges from our neighbors tree which didn't impress me very much. Yes that is me, got to love those bell bottoms!

My last memory was brought flooding back to me by Nel, who came home from school one day to share that the kids where teasing her because her name was in one of their songs for the holiday performance, Up on the Housetop. To refresh your memory in the song there is a line, "first comes the stocking of little Nel." Luckily Nel handled having her name in a song much better than my sister. Beth do you remember how much you hated it when we would sing "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem"? I can remember teasing you about that one! Beth, Nel doesn't like the teasing but she thinks it is cool to have her name in a song, and of course Katie is jealous.

Thanks for taking my trip down memory lane and feel free to share any of your favorite holiday memories.

1 comment:

  1. YES, I remember, probably why I am now Crazy Aunt Beth!!!! Totaly jealous of the snow!!!!! And we are still picking oranges in sunny California!!!

    ReplyDelete